Car sharing for everyone?
Car sharing is believed to be an interesting solution for people living in so called ‘Mobility Poverty’*:
- Unlike the high costs associated with the ownership of an adapted, car sharing allows for private transportation at a lower cost to the user.
- Car sharing enhances access to transportation for persons with physical and/or mental issues and specific transportation needs. Those who cannot travel by bicycle or public transportation, may find a solution in car sharing. For instance for people who have trouble walking or are experiencing a burnout, mobility via public transportation or bicycle can be quite a challenge.
- Car sharing enhances social cohesion in neighbourhoods as people come into contact with one another more often. Keys need to be handed over, agreements made, … This builds a (mobile) social network.
leading people in Mobility poverty to car sharing proved to be a rather challenging matter. Based on gained experiences Autodelen.net shares it’s tips and tricks for broadening the target group of car sharing and give some unique good practices from Flanders, Belgium. Our main lessons were:
- Be aware that what is obvious to one person may pose a barrier to another. Adapt the services and communication in a way it is accessible for the group targeted.
- Make carsharing a widely supported and involve different partners
- Train intermediaries let them inform people about carsharing at the right moments
- Inform low-treshold
- Use clear communication
* Mobility poverty afflicts a group of people with insufficient access to societal functions due to limited mobility. Numerous factors are at play, with the lack of resources/possibilities for using (adapted) means of transportation as a constant factor. The lack of mobility impacts participation in our society. Groups at risk of suffering from mobility poverty include people with physical disabilities, people dependent on care, people in poverty, rural residents, people with migration backgrounds, people without driving licence, singles with children, …